Nostalgic Coloured Photos of Lim Tua Tow Market

Between the sixties and nineties, there were two famous and popular wet markets along Upper Serangoon Road. One was the Simon Road Market at lark kok jio (6th milestone), while the other was the Lim Tua Tow Market at gor kok jio (5th milestone). Both had served the Hougang community well for more than three decades, until their demolitions in the nineties.

My aunts, who were previously from Kampong Chia Keng, have always spoken of their fond memories of the Lim Tua Tow Market, which stood at the junction of Lim Tua Tow Road and Tech Chye Terrace. Chia Keng was located at the other end of Lim Tua Tow Road, where the Serangoon Stadium is standing today.

Recently, I came across an informative website CommunityWalk that has carefully mapped out many old landmarks at Upper Serangoon Road, such as the former Kok Wah Cinema, Lim Ah Pin Clinic, Ba Khia Hng (Crocodile Garden) and Sing Hua School. To my delight, it also contains many rare coloured photos of Lim Tua Tow Market in the eighties. For those who once lived in this vicinity, let’s enjoy a trip down the memory lane.

lim tua tow market2 1980s

lim tua tow market4 1980s

lim tua tow market5 1980s

lim tua tow market8 1980s

lim tua tow market3 1980s

lim tua tow market9 1980s

lim tua tow market10 1980s

lim tua tow market11 1980s

lim tua tow market 1980s

lim tua tow market12 1980s

lim tua tow market14 1980s

lim tua tow market15 1980s

(All the photos above are credited to CommunityWalk Upper Serangoon)

Today, the only remnants of old Lim Tua Tow Road are the two rows of shophouses still standing in the vicinity. In recent years, there are plans to turn this place into a F&B enclave but the results are not encouraging.

lim tua tow road 2011

Published: 18 January 2014

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Nostalgic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Nostalgic Coloured Photos of Lim Tua Tow Market

1. Susan says:

i used to go with my Mum every Saturday to this market to help her carry home the week’s fresh produce requirement; we’d walk back to our rented home @ Highland Close, till we moved out in 1985. She’d either buy the soyabean curd drink or the grass jelly drink & sometimes a treat like the black carrot cake which was the best- the good old days. I long for those foods now but they are not of the same taste & quality.

2. rufino1995 says:

Oh, more memories, grew up in the 60’s, 70’s to early 80’s right between those 2 famous markets… my neighbourhood was a mix of terrace houses, large compound houses ,surrounded by kampongs, where you will find,pigs, chickens, ducks, gheese which were great “alarms” for the kampong folks against intruders during the night. My growing up years were filled with the last dose of the “good old days”, flying kites, kuti-kuti, marbles, exploring the semi-forested areas etc.. mini-gangs…. 🙂 wonderful area, Upper Serangoon to Punggol…
    Thanks again for the memories..
    Both markets had great Hokkien mee!

3. rufino1995 says:

WAHHHHH… I too stayed at Highland Close……. .. I use to carry the rattan basket for my mum after her marketing from Lim Tua Tow!

4. Maddie Tham says:

This market had the yummiest tar mee pok and if I remember correctly a very good orh luak. Mum used to go to this market as it was the nearest to our Paya Lebar home.
    Thanks for sharing this!

5. Jon says:

my mum always shop in Lim Tua Tow market in the weekend, I still remember those stone ledge where some would take a rest or mobile veggie stall be there selling their stuff too. The place is so pack that you would had a hard time looking for a parking lot. After shopping we would head up 2nd level for makan as well, there’s a big big opening at the center where you could glance down the wet market.Does miss those years, those people, the environment and definitely the food.

6. Thai says:

You char Kwai. Mobile stall at Teck Chye Terrace yummy. If I remember correctly, a piece ( consisted of 2 length ) costed 15 to 20 cents. Stall owner husband/ wife were Fujian and were hard working folks.

When—–around 1976.

7. Peter says:

Sorry to said that . I think the third photo dont belong to the Lim tua tow market .

8. Lenneth says:

My mum used to sell Rojak and my aunt sold Satay Bee Hoon at the Kok Wah Theatre…… wonder if anyone had any memories………

9. Carol says:

My mother was selling duck rice next to your aunt satay been hoon stall and my father ‘s stall was at Lim Tua Tow Market selling Wanton mee.

10. Vivian says:

I grew up there. I wish I could turn back time. Those where the happiest days of my life.

11. Kevin says:

Thank you for the pictures & memories. Of course in those days we were too poor and never had a camera. So, my family & I are very grateful to see a pic of our late father (pic 7, vegetable stall) and the neighbouring stalls. Wonderful memories. Thank you to the one who donated the pic and for those who patronised our stall 🙂

12. Kevin says:

Someone pointed this link to us that my dad was featured in pic 7 (the handsome guy manning the vegetable stall .. haha). My family spent a considerable life in the market and depended on my dad’s vegetable stall for a living. Back in those days, most like us do not have a camera. As such, really very grateful for the pictures. Thank you so very much.